Better energy efficiency is one of the benefits of owning a newer appliance, as technology advances and manufacturers are pushed towards green targets.
Samsung has gone a step further, including an Energy Saver as a mode on select refrigerator models.
How Samsung Refrigerator Energy Saver Mode Works
Energy Saver mode is turned on by default and works by essentially stopping the refrigerator section from functioning.
If your fridge has French-style doors with an extra panel between, Energy Saver mode will deactivate the heater within this panel.
The heater panel seals the gap between the two doors when the fridge is closed but also warms up the edge of the door gaskets to avoid condensation.
How to Turn Samsung Fridge Energy Saver Mode On
Find and press the Energy Saver Icon on your Control Panel or Family Hub. The backlight should go on indicating it’s active.
How to Turn Samsung Fridge Energy Saver Mode Off
While you can disable it, should the fridge get turned off or lose electricity supply during a power cut, when it comes back on, the Energy Saver mode will trip back ON again.
This aspect does accidentally confuse a few customers who expect the Samsung refrigerator to remember their previous actions; it won’t.
When to Turn Energy Saver Mode Off?
If you notice that your fridge is starting to leak or there’s condensation build-up around the doors, you’ll need to turn Energy Saver mode off so that the door panel heater turns back on.
Can You Save Money by Using the Energy Saver Mode?
Absolutely. It will reduce the cost of running a Samsung refrigerator appliance.
7 Tips for Saving More Energy with Your Samsung Refrigerator
Here are 7 tips for reducing the energy usage associated with your fridge.
- Keep the grilles and vents clean and clear of obstructions to encourage proper airflow
- Ensure the fridge isn’t positioned in direct sunlight
- Make sure there is adequate free space all around the fridge for proper air circulation. See the manual for what clearances your model requires; most require 10cm above, 15cm behind, and 30cm to either side
- Where possible, open the fridge or freezer door for less time and less frequently; the appliance will maintain internal temperatures more efficiently
- Never put hot food in the fridge, as it adds extra heat that the fridge must compensate for. Let it cool first, then place it in the fridge
- Set the correct fridge and freezer temperatures needed for food safety; don’t use lower temperatures thinking it’s safer
- Thoroughly clean the condenser coils every few months and remove any dust or dirt from the rear of the refrigerator to ensure efficient cooling
How do I keep my settings saved?
If you want to make sure Energy Saver stays on or off, you can lock the Control Panel on your device.
Related >> How to Unlock Samsung Refrigerator
Should I use energy saver on my Samsung refrigerator?
If you want to improve your energy efficiency, Energy Saver is a great option. You do need to watch for condensation build-up though, and turn it off immediately if condensation appears.
What is the red light by the Energy Saver on my Samsung fridge?
This either indicates that Energy Saver mode is off or that your water filter needs to be replaced.
Can I leave Energy Saver on long-term?
Yes, it’s on by default and won’t be a problem. You do need to keep an eye out for condensation though, and turn Energy Saver off if it starts to appear.